Wednesday, November 19, 2014

How Many Rings Are on the Average Earthworm?

Truman points out that we are trivial people.  We see these insignificant things in our lives, and then celebrate and discuss them at length as if they mean something.  Even more though, than the "hilarious" time of announcements at the beginning of the service, do we take God's Word and trivialize it?  I think that we do this in two ways.  The first, we take the facts of Scripture and make them out to be little tidbits of information of no more significance than how many rings are on the average earthworm.  Instead of learning from King David's example, we memorize facts about him for only the facts sake.  The second is taking short passages of scripture to move the service along or manipulate it for our own sake.  I honestly am not sure quite where I stand on this one.  I use passages of Scripture when leading songs, but do I actually treat them like the Words of God?  Do we use the Word or let it work on us?

My question is how do we trivialize the Word in church, and how can we not trivialize it?

No comments:

Post a Comment