Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Another Question

So ironically, one of the questions I had last week (which we were never able to discuss) was answered by Burroughs in quite a bit of detail.  It was:  What should we do if we come to worship unprepared?

Lately, there has been this war constantly in my heart.  On one side, God is helping me let go of my pride, and asking me to think about what it means to serve Him genuinely.  But on the other side, a seemingly endless amount of stuff is there to distract me.  I can go through a whole day so focused on homework that I miss serving God.  So this week I have often come to worship feeling unfit and unprepared.  Thus the question.

Burroughs said, "While you are musing, plodding, and troubling your heart that way, I say you are struggling alone, but now when you fall upon the duty, then you call in help from God and so you are more able to the performance of the duty than you were before.... Though you cannot find your heart as prepared as you desire, the very falling upon it will fit you for it."

I am thankful that God has begun to answer this first question, but it is still hard to keep my heart focused on him.  And this brings me to another question I had last week:  How can we kindle a holy awe of God in a culture that is so caught up in the moment and busy with other things?  We all know the phrase "Be still, and know that I am God."  But do we actually know what it means to be still?  Are we ever still, and if not, how can we learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment