Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Worship: To What Extent?

            The reading for this week has been both thought provoking and challenging. Many of the statements made me think a long the lines of what I believe to be true of worship, and others have made me wonder if some of the ways I worship are biblical. Jeremiah Burroughs' book helped me realize that God stands upon things we may consider of little importance. The author gave an example Uzzah and the Ark of the Covenant. Uzzah just reached out touching the Ark to keep it from falling, however, they were commanded not to touch the Ark. This small act cost him his life. Something else I observed from this book was the fact that when we worship we should be particular. God has given us commands to follow when it comes to worshiping Him. Sadly, I believe people have come away from what and how we were commanded to worship. The author also mentions how Nadab and Abihu were killed while offering a sacrifice. This is not something I believe that would generally result in death, however, these men were given fire to use and they did not use what God gave them. (Leviticus 10) The Bible also gives us verses to worship our King these verse are: Psalm 95:6, John 4:24, and Hebrews 12:28. If we have been given commands of how to worship God then how far can we extend our worship musically? Or is there a difference between encouraging contemporary christian music and worship music?

No comments:

Post a Comment