Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wills and Wants

The Puritans had a phrase they used to describe any worship not based in God's Word: will-worship.  Worship that is rooted in our selfish wills and wants.  There is obviously a problem when our worship has nothing to do with God's Word.  But sometimes I find myself to be will-worshiping even when the songs on my lips are Biblical, and even when the message of my words is the Gospel.  I think it's something like the Pharisees who "honored God with their lips" while their heart was "far from him."  I know we live in a day that is big on "the heart of worship", but a day that is also big on spiritual dualism.  Where we let our heart be swept away in worship, but grab it back the minute we leave the service.  We love the moment!  (We also love the moment and get similarly excited at secular concerts.)  So I am wondering... How can we structure our corporate worship to give the heart motivation to worship, without coercing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment