Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Duty and Preparation



In Gospel Worship, Jeremiah Burroughs instructs believers not to allow lack of preparation to keep them from preforming their duties to God (70).  He says, “The forbearing of a duty now will not make the soul more fit for a duty afterwards” (71).  I should not neglect something that God has commanded because I am unprepared.  I should not lay aside worshiping Him in the fellowship of other believers for the reason that I am not where I should be before worship.  I should not put aside prayer with the excuse of being “unfit” to approach the throne of God.  I appreciate the wisdom of Burroughs here because it prevents me from hindering my relationship with and obedience to God with the sins that are keeping me from fellowshipping with God.  Instead, it forces me to deal with the sins (whether of commission or omission) that prevent me from communing with God which in turn brings about reconciliation with God.  However, I do have a question regarding communion. 1 Corinthians 11:27-29 says,
“Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself, if he does not judge the body rightly.”
Would communion be an exception to Burroughs comments, where there must be a level of examination (and thus preparation) beforehand or would Burroughs say that this examination is a result of realizing one is unprepared in every circumstance, whether communion, prayer, singing, etc.?

No comments:

Post a Comment