Tuesday, September 9, 2014

What is Right for Worship?


In reading this week’s assignment, I was challenged. In his book, Jeremiah Burroughs lists different applications concerning worship. (pg. 35-41) I guess my first challenge was figuring out what exactly I do when I worship. I had to seriously think about the ways that I worship and whether or not it was true worship is or more along the lines of self-pleasure. After doing a self-examination I find that it is easy to let worship turn into self-pleasure. In Use 4 on page 49 under the application, I struggled with the idea of when I worship I draw near to God, but when I don’t worship God then the life He brings dies. There are many times I do not worship God when I sing or when I do other things. Many times I find myself just doing them because I enjoy them. My final challenge this week was brought to me by the book “Give Praise to God”. On page 55 Duncan talks about the second commandment and how that is taken so lightly. People don’t realize that we are supposed to worship God through the ways He wants us to not through those that the world made. – How do we distinguish between worship to God and worship for self-pleasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment