Tuesday, September 2, 2014

God's Priority of His Glorification



Reading Jeremiah Burroughs’ Gospel Worship has been a great challenge to me as I consider how zealous God is for the glory of His Name and the implications of this for me as one who tries to draw near to God.  When God slew Nadab and Abihu, it was not because they lacked a pursuit of God, but because they did not carefully consider the tools God had given them with which to worship Him (Leviticus 10).   Burroughs writes, “Though the lives of men are dear and precious to God, yet they are not so precious as His glory.” (26)  As a Christian, I am called to sanctify God in my life (1 Peter 3:15).  In one sense, this brings comfort because I know God will be sanctified through the circumstances in my life that I do not understand.  In other way, it brings an awe-inspired terror because of the zealousness of God and my sinful state.  God will be glorified in my life, whether because of my reflection of Him through obedience or because of His display of holiness through my disobedience.  When God is gracious to Christians as people who do not worship Him perfectly, how does He glorify Himself through that?

No comments:

Post a Comment